Developed by 22-year-old Paris Manning, Velvet 59 is growing fast, becoming a leading independent beauty brand in the marketplace. The brand recently unveiled a liquid lipstick collection that rivals the pigment, drying and staying power of Stila liquid lipsticks and a contour palette that’s becoming a fan favorite for its vegan, gluten, paraben and cruelty free cream to powder formula.
Get to know the brand and enjoy my chat with Paris, where she dishes on her motivation to develop Velvet 59, her top five must-have beauty items and what’s next for the brand.
Pop Goes the City: Share with me your motivation to develop a beauty brand?
Paris Manning: Growing up in the industry I was able to use almost every brand on the market. I really felt like something was missing from the industry. Being a makeup artist first, you use products and think “if only it applied like this or if only it had better ingredients” Velvet 59 really is the makeup you’ve been dreaming of!
PGTC: I love that Velvet 59 is a line inspired by vintage glamour. Why did you chose this direction for your brand?
PM: On both sides of the pond I grew up watching Audrey Hepburn, Elizabeth Taylor, Marilyn Monroe and many other classic beauties. They all had a sort of vintage glamour and were not afraid to show their femininity. They wore false lashes, winged liner, and painted lips. Everything was about glamour and looking their best. Women want to look that way today, but are busier than ever before. Velvet 59 makes it easy to quickly become the best version of yourself, whether you’re going to a gala or to work you can easily look your best.
PGTC: You recent launched new products, among them a liquid lipstick. Tell me about Matte To The Max Liquid Lipsticks.
“Matte to the Max“ is an extreme lip pigment. It is designed to deliver the most about of pigment with the least amount of product for a weightless feel! Matte To The Max is infused with Sacha Inchi oil from the Amazonian rainforest to lock in hydration and a rich source of vitamin E to help keep your lips moist yet matte all day! Sacha Inchi oil is a 100% extra virgin seed oil which is native to the Amazon Rainforest and has been a part of Amazonian life for many generations. This translates to ongoing support for rural Amazonian communities. Both a powerful skin-treatment and a potent anti-aging ingredient, this product is good for the body, good for the planet, and good for the greater community.
One swipe delivers a liquid opaque color that softens into a rich matte long-wear lipstick.
PGTC: What are your top 5 must have beauty products and/or tools?
1. Invest in a moisturizer for your skin type. Your skin will thank you and your makeup will look flawless!
2. Flake free mascara, like Velvet 59’s “My Fair Lashes“. This fast drying, flake and smudge-proof formula creates long-lasting length with our new innovative wand! The flat side allows the tip to get those tiniest hardest-to-reach lashes without smudging your makeup!
This cruelty & paraben free unique formula works with the mascara wand to provide incredible lash definition and length!
3. Good foundation brush, it makes the world of difference.
4. A good contour/strobe kit is a must! From Marilyn to Kim this hollywood tradition will make you picture perfect for every occasion. Velvet 59’s vegan, gluten, paraben, and cruelty free cream to power kit, “Contour Is A Girl’s Best Friend“, applies as a luxury cream and dries to a long-lasting powder so you will have a Hollywood-worthy contour and/or strobe!
5. A good brow pencil/pen. Invest in a good brow pen/pencil that will match your brows. Brows shape the face. They will make or break your makeup!
PGTC: What’s next for Velvet 59?
PM: We are going into retail stores end of 2015/early 2016. We have some very exciting new collections in the works also! All vegan, gluten, paraben and cruelty free with a touch of old Hollywood glamour!
Are you ready to check out all the Velvet 59 has to offer? Visit the brands full collection here.
I love learning about new cruelty free brands! Thanks for sharing! I will definitely be checking them out!
My pleasure! I hope you like them.