Fall and the transition to winter is truly the most wonderful time of the year for me. My skin is better, I love wearing scarves and there is always a slew of new products that hit the market – just in time for the holiday season.
With that said, want to know what I am loving right now for fall and winter?
Ladies, you’re up!
1) Crystallized cell phone cases from Crystals on Fire – Stephanie Berman is the creative genius behind this Plano based brand and she can custom create any design with SWAROVSKI ELEMENTS flat back crystals. I love her work – photos do not do it justice. Visit her studio/store, room 400, in City Salon Suites & Spa 5813 Preston Rd. #554, Plano, TX 75093 to see her designs in person.
2) Elizabeth Koh Scarves – Earlier this year, I wrote about a company called Smiles by JEM. (Read my article here.) Recently Smiles by JEM rebranded and are now Elizabeth Kho. The name changed but the mission is the same. Megan Elizabeth Varela and Janelle Elizabeth Sisting are still delivering superior handcrafted scarves and giving back to the communities that produce the Elizabeth Kho products. 10% of Elizabeth Kho proceeds go to help develop and sustain local programs of the SOS Children’s Villages in Thailand. By wearing Elizabeth Kho scarves, buyers help support a child’s development in a positive, nurturing environment. Megan and Janelle are back in the States, fresh off a trip to Thailand. Check out the new Elizabeth Kho website to see what they brought back with them! Also find Elizabeth Kho designs right here in the Dallas area at Indigo 1745, Briesley’s, Turquoise Firefly, Movida, and on the mobile shopping trailer Couture in a Can.
3) Libby Lane Handbags – Simple, classy and very Texas! Libby Lane Handbags is a homegrown brand that recently caught my eye. This handcrafted line of bags are sophisticated, stylish and very functional. The T Clutch ($260) featured above is one of my favorites. The simple envelope style with low profile brass stud closure is stunning. Check out the Libby Lane Handbags online to find your favorites.
4) Bond No. 9 Perfumista Avenue – My favorite fragrance brand has done it again. Bond No. 9, known for creating the scents of New York, has created Perfumista Avenue ($260+) - the first scent representing a New York fantasy neighborhood, “a perfumer’s dream come true”. Featuring notes of davana, nutmeg, safran, red plum, rose oil, rose-water, peonies, jasmine, patchouli, sensual musk, modern amber and mate, I really enjoy this scent for fall. Check out Perfumista Avenue and all the other Bond No. 9 scents online.
5) Freeze 24-7 Skin Smoothie Retexturizing Glycolic Pads 10% – Exfoliating is very important to reveal radiant skin, to keep pores from clogging and skin looking dull. These gentle retexturing pads with 10% glycolic acid ($75) can get the job done! Visit Nordstrom at Galleria Dallas to see this line in person.
6) Nude Nails - If you ask me, nude nails are always in! My friend Laura Carson Miller introduced me to the HIPPxRGB nail color collection ($18) this past summer when I interviewed her. (Read the interview here.) What I love most about this brand is that they understand that nude varies based on skin tone and have created a collection of nudes that can be mixed to create your customized color. Yes!!!
Men, it’s your turn now!
1) Plaid - I love plaid – when it is tastefully done. Plaid does not have to be too bold either and I enjoy seeing colors like blue and shades of gray, like the J. Crew flannel Desert Sand Plaid shirt ($79.50) above, over reds and greens. Visit the J. Crew website to order or the NorthPark Center store to see this shirt in person.
2) Bags that charge devices – We all joke about men carrying a bag but companies like Powerbag are making bags for men functional and fashionable. The Instant Messenger (price unknown) bag charges your devices as you scoot about town via a lightweight removable battery. Similar bags in clutch style have been created for women but I like that this bag can be worn crossbody. Maybe they aren’t just for men, ladies! Check out the Powerbag selection of products online.
3) Suede Sneakers – Everyone knows Lacoste shirts but have you seek their ultra sleek suede sneakers? The Sevrin 2 sneaker ($99.95) is low profile, laid back and goes quite well with the plaid shirt mentioned above… I’m just sayin’ guys! Find these at Nordstrom in store or online.
4) Kiehl’s Soap on a Rope – I know what you are saying! “What?! Soap on a rope…really?!” Yes, really! We all know Kiehl’s for their great skin, body and hair care products so this soap on a rope is no joke. Offered rope style exclusively during the holidays, Kiehl’s Soap on a Rope ($15) is a must-have, gentlemen! “Why is it a must have?!” I’m glad you asked. This bar is made with made with sloughing bran and oatmeal and pumice to help alleviate roughness by exfoliating dead surface cells, it cleanses and rinses off well and it smells amazing! Come on! Every man needs to use soap on a rope at least once in his life. Visit the Kiehl’s website to order or visit a counter or store to hear about this item.
5) D. S. & Durga Cowboy Grass - ZZ Top said it best – “every girl is crazy ’bout a sharp dressed man” – but what about a good smelling man?! It is my opinion that a man’s scent is just as important as his attire. I am going gaga over D. S. & Durga Cowboy Grass ($106). It’s a masculine scent with notes of American sagebrush, flowering white thyme, & prairie switchgrass…aka the perfect scent for Texas men.
6) The Mustache - It’s Movember!! Who doesn’t love a man with a mustache? Honestly, Movember is an annual, month-long event in November – men grow moustaches to raise awareness and funds to combat prostate and testicular cancer and mental health challenges. Grow a mustache and give!
I have selected one item that both women and men need…
Hari Mari Lakes Collection – I have been a fan of Hari Mari Shoes for some time now. They are the most comfortable flip-flops I have ever worn and I love the charitable heart of the company – supporting children battling pediatric cancer, giving $3 for every pair sold to help families-in-need pay for medical, medicines and hospital costs.
When I heard they were launching leather flip-flops I jumped for joy. What could be better than leather flip-flops?
The Lakes Collection, featuring 100% full grain leather insoles and straps, cupped heel support, non-marking rubber outsoles and the brands signature memory foam toe post, will launch December 2013 and are part of the brands offerings for Spring/Summer 2014. Here in Texas, we can pretty much wear flip-flops year round and I will be wearing these long before spring and summer!